Sunday, March 28, 2010

tender mercies

Two weeks ago we shipped Farmboy off to Basic Training. It was a strange day knowing that we probably wouldn't be able to see him for 5 months. But I did alright. I had another "project" that I knew I had to focus on. Baby. And of course all the millions of other things I had to do to get ready for before the arrival.

Nonna moved in with me to help with the kiddos. What a blessing that has been. Then Grandma and Grandpa came to play with the kids and be there to help. I spent most my days before my due date going to work in the evenings and wondering if I would go into labor. I've never gone into labor on my own so I figured that babies just don't come...they are induced. {Clearly, mine are}.

About a week before my due date, I had a lot of pain and discomfort. I got home from teaching late that evening and told my mom. She was pretty sure we'd have a baby in the middle of the night. And because she's pretty much always right, I started to wonder myself. But, it didn't happen. But I did actually get down to business and pack a real bag for the hospital and make real plans for "just in case" I went into labor. But, I didn't. Which was a blessing because aside from having to cancel my English classes, I didn't know if Onehm would make it on time to take the pictures.

You see, once we knew that Farmboy was going to be absent for the birth of our 3rd baby, I talked with my best friend Onehm and she offered to take pictures of the labor and delivery so that we could mail them to Farmboy and help him feel apart of the day. It was a tricky plan and everything had to go just right for her to make it there on time. A sweet sweet friend of hers made it possible for her to fly in just at the right time. And I kept reminding myself of the blessing that Farmboy had given me just before he left for the Army: that everything for the labor and delivery would go the way I had planned. I kept trying to focus on that instead of worrying about the things I couldn't control.

Wed nite my English students had a big baby shower for me and I was so touched by their generosity. I went home to find Onehm had indeed made her flight and it was a go for the morning.

After my Tues morning appointment with my Dr., {almost dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced}--my instructions were to call the hospital at 6:30am to see if they could take me that morning for induction.

I couldn't sleep all night, it felt like I was waiting for Christmas morning. I made the call around 6:20am Thurs morning only to find that they were swamped with mothers. Not a room to be had for me. I was to call back at 8:30 then at 9:00. It was starting to feel like maybe we wouldn't be having this baby today. The sweet southern-accent nurse said "the flood gates had been opened that day" but that they'd get me in that day.


She did call back and we headed up to Salt Lake to begin the long waiting process. Aunt CC came to pick up Nonna, Onehm, and me---and we took the longest route to Salt Lake. Thank goodness I wasn't really in labor.

About 11:30am we were finally admitted and in Room #3. Changed. Met the nurses. Filled out papers. Got wrist bracelets.

The nurse informed me that Dr. had requested they break my water first to see if I'd progress without the Pitocin. So, water was broken and the little bit of discomfort led to the Epidural. I wasn't about to wait around for the pain to really kick in. I know I'm a pansy.

Nonna and Onehm went down to the cafeteria to get some lunch and and CC stayed with me to play a round of cards. But soon after the epidural I started to feel sick. Dizzy. Hot. Nausea. So cards would have to wait. {we never did get to play. thank goodness. she would have whipped me good. I would have blamed it on the needle in my arm, but...I never would have stood a chance with her skills and my lack of practice}. She was great to get me cool cloth and help me relax.

After a few hours, I just wasn't going anywhere. So the pitocin drip was started. And that's when the good contractions started. The nurses were taking bets on what time I'd have the baby and of course gender. {Nobody but onehm knew gender at that point}.

As good as the contractions looked, I still wasn't progressing super fast--only a 7. The nurse and Dr. Macy came in {probably around 6:15pm} and said the baby was posterior {just like with my first} and they thought that giving me a roll would help baby roll as well. That was done and I assumed to be there for a few more hours--which was fine. I was there with my favorite women and watching Blind Side. But just a few minutes later, something was odd. Pressure! A lot of pressure. So I debated what to do...I told someone.

Aunt CC ran into the hall to tell the nurses. Cheers. They rushed in. And sure enough, Ready to roll. Everything went in fast motion then. Dr. Macy broke down the bed and all of sudden there we were. Nonna and CC hold my hands on each side and a swarm of women all around me.

It was the most incredible energy I've every felt in the delivery room. Laughter. And women buzzing about working and making jokes. It was this incredible feeling of joy and calm all at the same time. And Dr. Macy said, " okay how do you want to do this...do you want to laugh, cough, cry, vomit?"....and I said, "let's laugh!" and so we did! And a few minutes later after 2 pushes and half---Dr. Macy said,

" It's a GIRL!"

Smiles and cheers. And our girl party was complete. There were Eight women in that room. Nine including the newest arrival.

Ava J

She had the greatest welcome any baby I've ever known. It was well deserved. She's special.

Calls were made. Family came. HY and Mini-E were brought to the hospital that evening to see Miss Ava j. They were delighted. HY kept saying " look at her tiny feet. tiny nose. tiny....bottom" We all giggled with delight. Mini-E hugged and kissed her. It was the most fun.

When things settled down, and everyone left for the evening {except for Nonna who stayed on the pull out}, I made a call to the Red Cross around 11pm. They said that they would get the message to Farmboy in 2-72hours about the birth of our baby girl.

I never imaged that I'd get a call from him around 4:30 the next morning. I woke up, unexpectedly around 4:00am. And noticed my phone glowing. A missed call. From Farmboy! I was devastated that I'd missed it. But soon, he called back. We spoke for about an hour. He talked about how his Drill Sargent had come in and woken him up around midnight. Yelling and screaming---he assumed he was in big trouble. Then, "Your wife had her baby"...and you can call her in the morning.

A tender mercy to be able to talk to him for as long as we did. Ava j. talked a bit as well to her daddy. Hopefully they'll meet soon. Until then, we will miss him and pray for him every day.

Our little family of four just became 5.

Birth-Day from Ashley Onehm on Vimeo.

Click here to see this video larger...

12 comments:

Bethie said...

i am bawling like a baby right now!!! that was amazing, i am so glad that you were able to have such wonderful women with you during this joyful occation, when you were not able to have farmboy with you.

she is beautiful, i like she looks like you!

P.S. i love the photo of HY holding the hoto of Farmboy, that made me cry, really bad.

good job- ONEHM

onehm said...

It was a delightful day!! I loved being there with you and being part of the best girl party ever!! You are amazing and so very strong...I'm once again in awe of your abilities.
:)

Unknown said...

What a story. I'm glad everything went perfectly. What a cute little baby girl!

Jenni said...

What a beautiful story...and what an amazing woman you are! What an example of strength and courage you are to all of us! Congrats and can't wait to see more of that sweet baby girl! :)

Glen and Marneen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RPH said...

I wish onehm was my friend too. What a great set of pictures!

Happy day to all of you. gosh, I cant believe just 5 weeks ago I was doing the same thing...with almost the same result. A little girl 6 lb 5 oz. Great to see your sweet mom in those pictures too.

What a bunch of special ladies.

I cant stop thinking of you. Good luck

Lots of love

RPH said...

I had to come back and watch the video again and stare at the picture in the post below. What a sweet experience.

Now I know why people have super large families. There is nothing like a new born babe.

Glen and Marneen said...

What a beautiful remembrance of her birth day! She's just gorgeous! Way to go Zoie!

Kylie said...

Loved it...made me cry! She is absolutely perfect! And I love her name! Congrats!! She is lucky to have you for her mom!

shurst23 said...

Congrats! You have such a cute family and an adorable little new one! P.s. I had no idea your husband went into the army?!...

Jennifer said...

She is beautiful. Congratulations. I love the way the other kids look at her. It makes me want Joseph to be a big brother. Nothing like a new baby. Enjoy.

Rachel Durazzani said...

Beautiful video! Loved it. Congratulations again. So glad she is here. She is beautiful.