Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Down the Toilet

Halloween was never my mother's favorite holiday. She saw it as one of those "evil" holidays that just introduced her kids to pillow cases full of candy. AND Candy was never a good thing in our house. You couldn't find junk food to save your life! Did I ever tell you the time that we dug through the dumpster of a health food store that had gone out of business? We ate rice cakes for YEARS! Well, it's a good story, but I must stick to one at a time.

Anyway...Halloween...candy..
Every year after the usual door to door candy acquiring, we'd sit down in the front room (don't ask why we picked the nicest, whitest room in the house...but we did) to sort through our loot.

My brother, Queezly, always managed to trade me all his caramel squares for my good candy bars. It was like his right as my older brother to take anything of mine that was good. I was allowed to exist one more day if I payed my dues. jerk

After the trade, we hid our pillow cases full of candy any place that Mom wouldn't find it.
We knew that if she found our stash--it'd be gone forever.
DOWN. THE. TOILET.
She felt strongly about the over consumption of candy. Very Strongly.

Photobucket
I'm thinking, she wasn't that far off, was she?

6 comments:

Aunt Runny said...

Candy flushed down the toilet, twinkies from Grandma down the toilet, any junk food was all flushed down the toilet. I didn't actually witness the flushing, maybe she was joshing us.

Scrap Happy Mommy of 2 said...

Wow...what a waste of such good stuff! But too much of good stuff is bad...right?:( Happy munching!

kam said...

Now that is just SAD.......flushing candy down the toilet? SAD! I love this holiday because Gracie is still young enough she doesn't get the fact that she just scored a ton of yummy candy- so Brian and I have had the guilty pleasure of pilfering her candy bag- without her being any the wiser. We intend to take full advantage of this for the few more years it lasts....What? don't judge us ;) ;)

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i might agree with that after the halloween we had...i got stuck outside talking to my neighbor while my kids had at their candy. later that night it all came up in form of..well..you get it. it was disgusting. she at least made it the garbage can, but at 12:30 i was up mopping the rest of it of the floor. DISGUSTING!

erica said...

I took all of alice's candy and sent some with Rich and hid the rest. she can pretty much have a piece a month, maybe. why give candy? it just makes them want more - like heroin.
my mom would wait until we were at school, take 1/2 the loot (kids can't really outsmart moms on hiding places) and re-gift it to us as Christmas candy. no extra candy and economical. go moms.

onehm said...

I saw on someone's blog today that the "Halloween Fairy" comes a few days after Halloween and trades candy for "treasure" aka toys. Sounds like a good idea to me!!
;) No toilet needed.

PS. There's a local ortho here that will donate cash to your kids school in trade for candy from Halloween. Then he ships the candy to the troops abroad in the service. Isn't that awesome??