Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm just saying...

I've painted hundreds maybe even a thousand times! But I've never had an experience like this. NEVER!

Perhaps there is something in the cosmos that is against me. Some strange star out of whack that is impeding my success. And if I did believe in all that mumbo jumbo about the universe, because I don't-- it's not like I can do anything about it. Should I just restart the day? Reboot? Pull the plug on whatever it is that I'm doing today? Get back in bed? No, I'm determined to make it right. Overcome. Laugh in the face of the cosmos and succeed.

It all started with my kitchen table.
Photobucket

As you can see I painted it blue. Why? Well, I have this sickness. I like controlled change. So, in the last year I have fallen in love with color. I just can't get enough of it. I want color--all the colors, all the time--everywhere in my life. My clothes and now my house. So, for months I've thought about my house and how I am so sick of the warmness of it. Too many neutral colors. It's just not me. So, I'm breaking out! Color! Bright Color! The table was my creative outlet.

Farmboy always gets a bit nervous when I start painting things. He never knows when it will stop. But I think he knows there's very little he can do to change that. So, being the good husband that he is, he let's me do pretty much whatever I want in this department regardless if he likes the outcome. I'm not sure he's thrilled with the table.

Love the blue. Super fun and beautiful. It matches NOTHING in the house {right now}. But the next project was the chairs. This is where the issues come into play. I've painted these chairs twice before. They are monsters to paint. It takes days and sometimes weeks to finish painting them. So, I try something new. I borrow a paint sprayer from a friend to speed up the process. It's gotta be better than painting them by hand. WRONG! This is the messiest job I've ever done. EVER. Now I'm not a professional painter but seriously....how can I explain this?

Photobucket

The mess that paint sprayer has made is just incredible. I mean there isn't a drop cloth big enough to throw down as protection. So, I scrap it--after 2 days of spraying, not loving the texture, buying more paint, spilling paint {I never do this}... I go back to painting by hand. Status of project: UNFINISHED!

I head back inside to warm up. (Did I mention that 2 days ago it was 90 degrees and today it's 45 degrees.) I break up a few sibling fights, feed the kiddos, mop up laundry soap that Mini-E has poured all over my laundry floor, drop something in the bathroom and nick the baseboard pretty good {really hate that cheap baseboard}. What is the deal? Then I notice this above my piano. MY HOME is Falling APART!

Photobucket

Currently I'm ripping red paint out of my hair and considering what to do to get back at the universe.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

onehm said...

OH MY. You are so brave and industrious. I, on the other hand, am not. :( So I have only one idea for you...

Keep Moving Forward.

Pretty vague, eh?
Sorry about that.

PS...LOVE the letters (and the table) in blue. It's the PERFECT shade.

RPH said...

Love that blue table!

this is such a great post.

Aunt Runny said...

Now the black shelf and hutch!