Saturday, September 8, 2007

Lesson learned

Yes, sometimes even I make mistakes(don't look so surprized). My dear sweet husband will be the first to tell you that I'm not exactly the best apologizer. Lucky for me, he's patient. And I'm still learning this skill. Here's a bit of a boo boo on my part:

You can call it whatever you like, but I call it ugly! If you know me or follow this blog at all, you know that I love to turn regular furniture into.....BLACK furniture (& sometimes Red---I'll admit I go through fazes). If you're not a regular, you can verify this here or here.

About 2 or 3 days ago, I took on the kitchen table! It had to be done. I painted it black of course to match the rest of the furniture. Which would have been fine, except that there are 6 chairs that go around it, and I can't very well LEAVE them natural looking. But chairs are very deceiving when it comes to the amount of time they take to paint. Sadly, in my HASTE, I didn't give the chairs a onces-over with the sander. (Like Grandad always taught me). Shame on me! I know better. So, one of the chairs came out looking like this masacure that you see above you. Strangely enough, the rest are totally fine!(I hope).

Lesson learned!

On a side note: Farmboy didn't exactly know that I was "taking on" the kitchen table. He wasn't upset---just a little concerned that my black painting feddish may bleed into our alder cabinetry & front door. I assured him that I was being creative---not CRAZY!

I'll be posting the final look soon, so watch for it's fabulousness.

10 comments:

heidi larsen said...

oh boy. that is a HUGE job. painting chairs. i don't envy you. i have been wanting to paint the top of my kitchen table a burnt red color. i will be sure and give it a good sanding before i start painting. thanks for the tip!

Jamie said...

OOOPS...That sure stinks, especially after all of that hard work!! I am sure it will be fabuloso when it is all done:):) I just love that you are so brave and will tackle anything.

onehm said...

I haven't tackled our kitchen chairs yet. Maybe this month. But thanks for the info on sanding first. I hate that part, so I skip it- alot. But, I may take your "boo-boo" to heart...

Micah and Jen said...

Good to know...I too LOVE black furniture and have been wanting for a very long time to do my table and chairs and now I know that I HAVE to sand them....even if I don't want too!

Heidi said...

So where do you find time to paint furniture? That alone is amazing. I look forward to the final results picture. So, were you able to fix that chair?

Webb Family said...

I painted my kitchen table a few years ago. It was a big project but I love it now! I ended up buying black chairs at a second hand place that I love!

Paige said...

i wish i had a picture of all the furniture i ever painted black or white. for a whole table and chairs, and only one chair gone wrong your good girl! there is no need to even say you did anything wrong?

Jen said...

I hate sanding too, I try and skip whenever I can. Can't wait to see the real finished project!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

sometimes it is good to take chances. even if it does cause you more work.

Queen Creek Chaffee's said...

I just think you are so ambition to even try this. Good for you